Friday, September 5, 2008

Evaluating Sources

There is a further idea on pursuing study of how to equip students with the new literacy skills necessary for a global world. I will be speaking with people in the working world who regularly have the need to evaluate data sources to study the thought processes they engage.

For example, a journalist receives many bits of data while preparing a story, but must discard some because they don’t meet a professional standard or are not relevant to the story. I’m not worried about the procedures of source evaluation, but the underlying thought processes and the corresponding literacy skills that are engaged.

By interacting with people in a number of diverse fields, I hope to be able to use the backwards design process to develop a program of literacy enrichment for today’s students. I have my first research partner on board, and am working on lining up several more.

More as this develops . . .

No comments: