Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Underway

Students returned to school today and we have begun the long journey through the school year. Realistically, it is much longer for them than me - at my age, a school represents less than 2 percent of my life. To an 8th grader, it's more than triple that percentage.

An objective for today was to survey the reading enjoyment level of the students, and I found that over 60% of the responses to survey items indicated a positive disposition towards reading. That's a nice start. But there was some discrepancy between how some students viewed their ability to read and their desire to do so.

One of the duties of my job this year is to help enhance the perception of literacy of those students who would rather not read. Today's survey was completely anonymous, but it provides a group baseline. My hope is that there will be a significant increase in the percentage of positive responses at the end of the year.

No comments: