Thursday, November 19, 2009

Feedback

I am referencing the post of a friend and fellow educator, Michael Corso, on the Quaglia Institute blog. In it, he relates the experience he had in a school where teachers had made a conscious effort to inform students of the goals of each class. The students reported significantly increased awareness of the practice and engagement with their learning as a result.

In my own classroom, another friend and fellow educator who works with one of my students suggested that student would find a similar focus on lesson objectives beneficial. I agreed, and have begun to write some key-words on the board at the beginning of each class as a way of narrowing students' attention.

The thing is, I knew this already and have known it to be a good practice for years. And sometimes I remember to do it, at least verbally, as we begin class. But I have not been consistent, and I regret the missed opportunities since September to help students better manage their learning. One strategy I am trying to employ is jotting a couple of items on a post-it and sticking it to the board in the morning as a reminder when the daily routines threaten to sidetrack my good intentions.

It's good to have friends in the business - and I always welcome their feedback.

1 comment:

Michael J. Corso, Ph.D. said...

Marty, thanks for the plug and the twist on this suggestion. If you haven't checked out QISA's Best Practice web-site (http://www.qisa.org/academy/bestPractices.jsp) head over and post this there. Invite your colleagues to drop by and post what they are doing that works, too.